Master of Public Health in Social and Behavioral Sciences
The Master of Public Health (MPH) in Social and Behavioral Sciences广发娱乐首页 at Temple’s College of Public Health trains students to assess and address the behavioral, cultural and social factors that influence pressing public health problems. Through coursework, professional development opportunities and fieldwork experiences, our MPH students learn to plan, implement and evaluate programs designed to improve the health of all people.
Social and behavioral sciences is a public health discipline that focuses on health promotion, illness prevention, and barriers to health behavior change, on both individual and health system levels. Professionals in this field use the tools and insights of the social and behavioral sciences to reduce health disparities and promote positive health outcomes, both in the general population and in vulnerable populations such as children, those with chronic physical and mental illnesses, and individuals living in poverty.
As a student in the social and behavioral sciences program, you will be prepared for practice-oriented careers in health counseling and education, health promotion, public health program development and evaluation, and research. Our graduates become public health leaders in community-based health agencies, healthcare systems, state and local public health departments, and voluntary health organizations. You will also be able to launch a career in research program management or continue your education in public health doctoral programs.
What sets apart our MPH in Social and Behavioral Sciences?
- Real-world experience: Through the master’s program’s culminating fieldwork experience, students apply their classroom learning to real-world scenarios in health services or public health organizational settings that prepare them to launch their careers in social and behavioral sciences. You will benefit from the mentorship of a community agency partner and receive guidance from our program faculty.
- Renowned faculty: In and outside the classroom, you will engage with faculty who are experts in cancer prevention, chronic disease prevention, health communication, maternal and child health, nutrition and obesity, organ donation, substance dependence prevention and treatment, healthy lifestyle promotion and more.
- Interdisciplinary education: The College of Public Health incorporates healthcare and health services disciplines, as well as traditional public health fields. Students can take elective courses across 17 disciplines that range from social work to rehabilitation sciences and speech-language pathology. This opportunity for interdisciplinary coursework and research gives you a broad perspective on health promotion and illness prevention, and prepares you to excel in the complex, diverse field of public health.
- Research opportunities: Advanced students can engage in faculty research as volunteers, student workers and research assistants. Research opportunities exist both within the Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences and across the College of Public Health.
Students can complete the MPH on-site or through our fully online program. The program offers a flexible curriculum: Students can study full time to complete the master’s program in two years, or part time to finish in four years.
广发娱乐首页Students take core courses that explore the fundamentals of public health, as well as courses that focus on essential topics in social and behavioral sciences. You will also complete two fieldwork courses and take electives in order to build topical expertise.
Related Graduate Degrees in the College of Public Health
The College of Public Health offers four other MPH programs.
- MPH in Applied Biostatistics
- MPH in Environmental Health
- MPH in Epidemiology
- MPH in Health Policy and Managment
A Certificate in Global Health广发娱乐首页 is available to all MPH students, who can complete this certificate by using their three MPH elective courses for global health classes.
The College of Public Health offers the PhD in Social and Behavioral Sciences for students interested in pursuing a research-intensive doctoral degree.
Dual Degree Programs
广发娱乐首页The public health perspective is relevant to many professional fields in which population-based theory and research can assist in improving health outcomes. An MPH dual degree opens new career options and enhances graduates’ mobility in their chosen fields.
The College of Public Health offers two dual degree programs.
- MSW-MPH with the college’s School of Social Work
- MPH-MS in Health Informatics with the college’s Department of Health Services Administration and Policy