Bachelor of Science in Recreational Therapy
The Bachelor of Science in Recreational Therapy 广发娱乐首页at Temple’s College of Public Health prepares you to become a recreational therapist trained to work in a range of environments, including healthcare and community-based settings. Recreational therapists use a variety of techniques—such as adapted sports, expressive arts and life skills—to treat and maintain the emotional, psychological and physical health of patients with illnesses or disabilities.
广发娱乐首页You will be trained to assess people’s physical and mental needs, plan and implement specific interventions to meet treatment goals, and document and evaluate the effectiveness of the interventions. Students in the Recreational Therapy Major develop a thorough understanding of
- foundations of recreational therapy;
- how to lead a variety of structured recreation activities, including adaptive sports, animal-assisted therapy, aquatic therapy, social skills training and stress management;
- patient assessment and health documentation;
- related clinical procedures, including client intake and treatment planning; and
- clinical research and evaluation methods.
What sets apart our Recreational Therapy Major?
- An innovative approach to health promotion: Recreational therapists work with individuals with disabilities, health limitations or illnesses, helping them lead active, engaging and meaningful lives through the use of activity-based interventions designed to enhance health and rehabilitation.
- A dynamic urban environment: Our students capitalize on Temple’s urban, multicultural environment, and the program’s learning technologies to become better recreational therapists.
- A renowned program: Our recreational therapy program has a strong reputation and is one of the oldest programs of its kind in the country.
Accelerated Undergraduate/Graduate Degree Program
The College of Public Health offers the option of earning both a BS and an MS in Recreational Therapy in five years, rather than taking the typical six years to complete both degrees.
广发娱乐首页High-performing undergraduate students can apply for admission to this accelerated program at the beginning of their junior year. They begin taking graduate-level courses in senior year and can typically complete the MS in Recreational Therapy within a year after graduating from the BS program.
Students in the program complete 121 credits, including 39 credits of recreational therapy courses; six credits of health-related professions courses; and 21 to 23 credits of courses in human anatomy, motor behavior and physiology, and psychology.
Earning your Bachelor of Science in Recreational Therapy 广发娱乐首页prepares you to take the , a national certification employers often require before hiring candidates in this field.