Mathematics and Technology with Teaching Major
The Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Technology with Teaching Major in the College of Science and Technology at Temple University not only gives you a pathway to earning your teaching certification, but also the background needed to teach mathematics or engineering. Students are prepared to enter careers teaching these scientific disciplines with this 123-credit-hour degree, offered through the TUteach program. Learn how mathematics is used in all branches of engineering, the fundamentals of inquiry-based teaching and problem-solving in engineering design.
Mathematics and Technology with Teaching BS majors gain experience in School District of Philadelphia classrooms under the guidance of Temple faculty and Philadelphia secondary school teachers. You’ll have the skills to help students think critically and ask questions about science.
广发娱乐首页The curriculum requires students to pick a concentration through the College of Engineering. You’ll choose from one of the following tracks.
- Bioengineering highlights how engineering principles can solve problems and lead to new discoveries in biology and medicine.
- Energy emphasizes the concepts, theory and application of energy, radiant energy, and renewable and alternative energy.
- Environment explores the life and physical sciences, from atom structure and microbiology to environmental field techniques and pollution prevention.
- Robotics focuses on electrical engineering and digital circuit design
In addition to your engineering track, you’ll study the foundations of both engineering and mathematics. You will learn to develop an overview of the development of modern science and mathematics, honing your knowledge of algebra, calculus, and probability theory, as well as engineering technology and problem solving.
Through the College of Education, you’ll take coursework in
- project-based instruction,
- teaching diverse learners and developing an inclusive classroom, and
- using state-of-the-art technology in designing science and mathematics lessons.
The curriculum emphasizes how secondary school students grow to learn and understand scientific ideas and theories. You’ll become an integral part of helping shape their experiences in STEM. Students in this program will learn to use effective communication techniques and strategies that engage students in the learning process. Guide them in forming an interest in science and mathematics, help them develop their curiosity and encourage them to pursue further scientific study.
广发娱乐首页You’ll be paired with a TUteach advisor who will guide you through your time in the program. Advisors assist with understanding curriculum requirements, finding internship opportunities and completing the paperwork required to become a candidate for the Pennsylvania Praxis certification exam. The required Praxis exam assesses the skills and knowledge of all individuals preparing to become teachers for kindergarten through grade 12. The Praxis exam you take depends on the state in which you want to become licensed and the scientific discipline you want to teach.