Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management
The Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management 广发娱乐首页at Temple’s College of Public Health is a rigorous, nationally recognized, interdisciplinary degree program. Students develop expertise in healthcare policy, healthcare system infrastructure and information technology. You will learn how to
- comply with legal requirements and healthcare policy;
- design, construct and query databases;
- generate data analytics; and
- navigate healthcare payments and financing systems.
Students who complete the degree are eligible to earn the nationally recognized certification as a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) from the American Health Information Management Association.
Health Information Management professionals design and manage health information systems while paying special attention to the quality and privacy of health information. They work in a wide range of settings, such as hospitals, insurance and pharmaceutical companies, managed and ambulatory care, technology firms and public health organizations.
Graduates have the transferable skills to work as business and data analysts, coders, database managers and researchers. There is high demand for their skills, and job salaries are competitive for graduates who pass the RHIA certification examination.
The admissions process for the Health Information Management Major will vary depending on if you are a current Temple student or if you are applying as a transfer student. Please be sure to carefully review the admissions information for this degree program.
What sets apart our BS in Health Information Management?
- An essential role in the healthcare system: Professionals in the field play an essential role in advancing patient health. Health information systems are central to diagnosing and treating patients, optimizing healthcare delivery, and improving health outcomes among populations.
- A supportive academic environment: Through small class sizes, this academic degree program fosters a tight-knit community of students who support each other inside and outside the classroom through social and service projects, especially through the program’s active student association.
- Faculty expertise and mentorship: Health information management faculty have extensive experience in the field, giving you a real-time connection to industry trends and developments. They have strong connections across the Philadelphia region—helping you develop your professional network and secure internships and employment.
Program Format and Licensure Options
The BS in Health Information Management is a two-year program that students complete during their junior and senior years of undergraduate study. Students apply for the BS in Health Information Management in sophomore year. In order to apply, you will need to have completed specific courses that prepare you to be successful in this rigorous program. Once admitted, students complete 61 credits of professional Health Information Management (HIM) courses, including one internship.
Freshman students are strongly encouraged to enter the Pre-HIM program in order to prepare to apply and to maximize their chances of admission. The Pre-HIM program includes focused academic advising and specific courses that teach students fundamentals of information technology, medical terminology and other foundational knowledge in preparation for the BS in Health Information Management curriculum.
The curriculum for this degree prepares you to take the RHIA certification exam, which will dramatically increase your prospects for employment after graduation.