Bachelor of Science in Exercise and Sport Science
The Bachelor of Science in Exercise and Sport Science at Temple’s College of Public Health focuses on the science and practice of health fitness and sports performance, and prepares students for a range of professional certifications and physical fitness careers. Students in this degree program conduct assessments of physical fitness, explore the science of human movement, and train to use metrics in developing exercise programs that help clients build physical fitness safely and efficiently.
广发娱乐首页The field of exercise and sport science focuses on physical fitness and training related to two areas of focus: health (involving populations that are either healthy or have pre-existing medical conditions) and performance (involving populations whose primary goals are athletic, competitive or related to sports performance). Depending on their interests and career goals, students in this program build skills related to one of these two professional areas.
Students in the program are trained to conduct lab- and field-based tests that assess agility, body composition, cardiorespiratory endurance, muscular strength, reaction time and other components of physical fitness. You will learn to interpret these metrics and use additional research-based evidence to develop effective exercise training programs for clients.
广发娱乐首页Our students pursue a wide range of career paths in university, corporate, commercial, community and clinical settings, and our graduates are eligible to take several different professional examinations, including
- the American College of Sports Medicine certification, for those who want to become exercise physiologists, group exercise instructors or personal trainers.
- the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) certification, for those who want to become personal trainers or strength and conditioning specialists.
Graduates can also apply to professional clinical programs to become occupational therapists, physical therapists or physician assistants, among other careers.
What sets apart our Exercise and Sport Science BS?
- A high-quality curriculum: Our program aligns with the educational standards and goals of the NSCA and the Committee on Accreditation for the Exercise Sciences (CoAES). We are an NSCA Education Recognition Program Undergraduate Strength and Conditioning Program, and are actively applying to become a CoAES-accredited program. This program also benefits from being a part of Temple University, a Carnegie R1-designated university.
- Local and national internship opportunities: Thanks to its dynamic urban location in Philadelphia, this program opens doors for internships at universities and high schools across the region, including at Division I, II and III schools. Your professors will help you locate and take advantage of competitive internship opportunities.
- Bringing together academics and athletics: Students can apply classroom learning through hands-on experience with Temple’s athletic programs, including the university’s football and Olympic sports teams. Students might assist with the implementation of team exercise programs and use performance metrics to help optimize exercise programs.
广发娱乐首页Exercise and Sport Science students complete 120 credits, including 85 credits related to the major. Science course topics include biology, chemistry and physics, as well as anatomy and physiology, biomechanics and other subfields of kinesiology.