Communication Sciences and Disorders PhD
In the Communication Sciences and Disorders PhD 广发娱乐首页program at Temple’s College of Public Health, students conduct original research; make valuable contributions to the field of communication sciences; and prepare for leadership in academic institutions, administration and clinical services. The program trains students to examine the processes and problems of adult and child language disorders, such as aphasia and childhood apraxia of speech.
广发娱乐首页This small, tight-knit doctoral program offers students individualized attention and close collaboration with faculty members. You will be able to focus on your area of interest, from child language processing to the effects of brain damage, and work with professors in the field to shape your research experience. The department has a team of prestigious faculty members who are at the top of their disciplines—prospective students should know with whom they would like to study and the areas they want to explore.
广发娱乐首页Our graduates most often continue on to positions in academia or research institutions.
What sets apart our PhD in Communication Sciences and Disorders?
- Work with renowned faculty members: Our faculty are recognized experts in aphasia, apraxia, child language processes and problems, and effects of brain damage on language function, among other areas of research.
- Unique research opportunities: Research is a major component of the Communication Sciences and Disorders PhD, and students partner with faculty members in the department’s multiple labs and facilities. These include the Aphasia Rehabilitation Research Lab; the Cognitive Neurophysiology Lab; the Concepts & Cognition Lab; the Speech, Language and Brain Lab; and others.
- Interdisciplinary coursework: The program enables students to take elective coursework across the College of Public Health, including in disciplines such as biostatistics, social work and health policy. Students can also take courses across Temple University in psychology, education and other fields.
广发娱乐首页The PhD is a full-time program that takes place on Temple’s Main Campus. Doctoral students are required to complete 45 credits in graduate coursework related to a defined area of specialization.
Specializations include the following areas.
- Child Language Processes and Problems
- Contextual Use of Language
- Effects of Brain Damage on Language Function
- First or Second Language-Learning Issues
The College of Public Health offers personalized advising services to students in each department. PhD candidates may seek academic and program support from their faculty advisors.
PhD Program Director