Master of Science in Chemistry
Prepare for a career in research or advanced graduate studies with the Master of Science in Chemistry in the College of Science and Technology at Temple. This master's degree is interdisciplinary and flexible, designed to develop your expertise in one of five chemical disciplines. With the option to take classes full or part time, you can earn your degree while still working professionally. You can pursue either a thesis track or program coursework, and both tracks emphasize significant investigation into the chemical sciences. Work toward the Chemistry PhD广发娱乐首页, or prepare to lead research in biotechnology, environmental science, forensic science, healthcare and more.
You’ll study and perform original and collaborative research in one of the following specific areas of specialization.
- analytical chemistry
- inorganic chemistry
- organic chemistry
- physical chemistry
广发娱乐首页Though some classes vary between the coursework and thesis tracks, all help you form a deeper understanding of specific areas of study, including environmental chemistry, materials and polymers, medicinal chemistry, nanoscience, photonics and surface science.
广发娱乐首页Some of the courses in this degree program focus on
- the key chemical and physical properties of nanomaterials;
- the principles and applications of important physical and spectroscopic methods;
- organic structure and organic reaction mechanisms; and
- quantum mechanics and its application to chemical systems.
广发娱乐首页Faculty members are involved in cutting-edge research into areas such as novel biological mechanisms; methods to study macromolecules; and ultra-intense laser fields. Research is performed in Temple’s state-of-the-art centers and facilities, including
- the Center for Advanced Photonics Research, which investigates the photochemistry and photophysics of molecules and how they interact with laser pulses;
- the , where research is focused on high-performance computing hardware, applications and training across Temple; and
- the , where faculty pursue research in the design, synthesis, characterization and modeling of advanced materials.
Coursework versus Thesis
Deciding between the coursework track and the thesis track depends on your professional goals.
For students who want substantial lab experience, the thesis track involves more time performing research. The track culminates in a final, original research thesis paper approved by your Graduate Advisory Committee.
The coursework track is ideal for students who already have significant experience in research laboratories and who currently work in a chemical industry or related profession. This track includes a final examination, which must be passed before a student can successfully complete the degree. Final examinations depend on a student’s chosen area of specialization and focus on the core chemistry concepts of each specialization.
广发娱乐首页Both tracks require prior approval from the Department of Chemistry.