Gain the experience to make significant contributions to biological research with the Biology PhD program in the College of Science and Technology. The Biology PhD degree provides a rigorous, research-focused course of study. You’ll be prepared to pursue multiple career pathways related to the biological sciences, including postdoctoral and academic positions, and in related industries, such as biotechnology, bioengineering, healthcare and pharmaceutics. The Biology PhD program provides opportunities for you to receive funding for your degree with either a teaching or research assistantship, and a tuition waiver.
广发娱乐首页Biology PhD students are afforded the chance to choose which lab they want to join. During your first year, you can choose a specific research group immediately or you can rotate up to three research groups before deciding on a lab. Once you are admitted to candidacy, you’ll pursue specialized research toward the completion of your degree.
广发娱乐首页Faculty members perform cutting-edge research in different areas of specialization that include
- cellular, developmental and molecular biology;
- cellular and molecular neuroscience, which investigates the central nervous system and the mechanisms it governs;
- , which focuses on computational evolutionary genomics;
- ecology, an interdisciplinary field that investigates the complex relationships between living organisms and their environments;
- , an interdisciplinary field that examines contemporary human disease within the larger context of evolutionary history;
- , an interdisciplinary field that examines the impact of genetic and environmental factors on modern human disease; and
- , a subfield of genetics and evolutionary biology that examines genetic change over time within and between populations.
Coursework is interdisciplinary and students are encouraged to participate in research across other fields, including biochemistry, chemistry, computer science, ecology, environmental science, engineering, mathematics and physics. Doctoral candidates perform innovative research in many of the College of Science and Technology’s state-of-the-art centers and facilities, including the
- , focused on the conservation, education and research of species and their impact on the environment;
- , an interdisciplinary center that explores theoretical and experimental research to define problems in the evolution of proteins, molecular recognition and structural biology; and
- , where genetic research investigates treatments and cures to chronic illnesses such as cancer, cardiovascular disease and diabetes.